Arrival & Settling In
. The First Impressions
- Arrival at the Airport: Document your arrival at your new destination. Was it smooth or full of surprises?
- Getting Around: Transportation, first meals, navigating a new city.
- Meeting People: How you met other students, local friends, or professors.
Example:
"When I landed in [City], I was exhausted but excited. The airport was a bit chaotic, and I had to figure out the train system, which was a lot trickier than I expected. The first meal I had was [local dish], and it was absolutely delicious. I met a few other international students at orientation, and we quickly became friends. I could already tell this was going to be an adventure."
B. Cultural Adjustment
- Language Barriers: Discuss your experiences with language, whether you were fluent or struggling.
- Cultural Shocks: Unexpected differences in daily life, food, or social norms.
- Homesickness: How you dealt with missing home (family, food, etc.).
Example:
"I thought my [Country's language] skills would be good enough to get by, but I quickly realized that local dialects were different from what I learned in class. There were moments when I had no idea what people were saying, and I had to rely on Google Translate. The culture here is so different, especially in how people interact in public – it took a while to get used to, but I’m learning every day."
4. Academic Life Abroad
A. Classes and Coursework
- The Academic System: What’s different about the university system abroad? (Grading, class structure, participation)
- Study Techniques: Adjusting to a new educational style and balancing academics with exploring the city.
- Difficulties and Successes: Any challenges you faced academically,https://brandd.xyz and how you overcame them.
Example:
"Studying at [University] has been a real eye-opener. The academic system here is much more independent, with less in-class time and more focus on self-study. The biggest challenge has been keeping up with the coursework while still wanting to explore every inch of the city. But I’ve found a rhythm, and I’m managing better than I expected."
B. Internships/Extracurriculars
- Opportunities to Network: Getting involved in clubs, internships, or volunteering.
- New Skills: What new skills have you gained academically or professionally?
Comments
Post a Comment